The Internet is the Wormhole to the Metaverse

I am surprised that so much typical rhetoric was presented in graduation speeches around the country. With so many upheavals surrounding us on many fronts, it would appear some paradigm shifts are required to deliver us from the status quo.

One school superintendent exhorted students to pursue what they love; what they are passionate about. If this is the goal, why is the means so dreadfully presented? If I were a student, I would ask that superintendent, “If the goal of my education is that I would pursue what I love, why did you make me endure what I dread?”

One state senator remarked that “Education is key.” This is too cliche; too predictable. There is more than one lock to our future. Education may be a key but there are other keys as well, attitude being a big one.

The senator went on to say, “Knowledge is power.” Well, again, if I were a student I would conclude that government leaders around the world must be ignorant based on the current economic fiasco taking place. Therefore, why should I take seriously what this senator says? He’s spouting predictable rhetoric.

Knowledge may be power but so was the steam engine. But if the world still operated on steam engines alone, our powerful existence would be living in a past century. Where are the visionaries for the future? Why tell graduates the same old thing we’ve told them for decades? Follow your dreams, do what you love, get along. The world is filled with turmoil, wars, and crises!

Perhaps we should be telling graduates the truth. We don’t know. We haven’t figured it out. We’ve done what we could but it’s up to them to forge the future. The future is counting on them. The tools we’ve used and with which we’ve equipped them are only principles. They will need new tools and new methods. We haven’t a clue. Passion is for lovers. Desperation is for survivors. Be desperate! Be real. (posted 6/1/09)